It is so important that you spend some time just talking and really listening to your child. Chatter time is a great way to spend a few minutes just focusing on your child's communication and language skills and developing and increasing their vocabulary.
Using a chatter time bag or box.
The contents of the bag or box are a surprise and is something simple to do together to stimulate talking together.
Open the bag or box together with your child.
Take the items out and look at them together.
Take time (10 or 15 minutes) to talk about the items together using the prompts below.
Grab a bag, any bag and fill it with as many different soft toys as you can find.
Tip them out and let your child talk about what they can see.
Let your child lead the conversation.
You may ask:
- What animals can you see?
- How do the animals feel?
- Are the animals all the same size?
- What colours can you see?
- Do you know what noise that animal makes?
- How many legs does the animal have?
- What are the animals ears like?
- What is the animals tail like?
And anything else you can think of.