It is so important that you spend some time just talking and really listening to your child. Chatter time is a great way to spend a few minutes just focusing on your child's communication and language skills and developing and increasing their vocabulary.
Using a chatter time bag or box.
The contents of the bag or box are a surprise and is something simple to do together to stimulate talking together.
Open the bag or box together with your child.
Take the items out and look at them together.
Take time (10 or 15 minutes) to talk about the items together using the prompts below.
Grab a bag, any bag and fill it with as many different plastic animals as you have.
These could be farm animals, wild animals or even sea creatures.
Tip them out and let your child talk about what they can see.
Let your child lead the conversation.
- The different animals names.
- What kind of animals are they?
- Talk about the colour, shape, size of the animals.
- Where do the animals live?
- Do you know what sound the animals makes?
- How does the animal move?
- Where do they live? – on land, in the water
- Are they baby animals or adult animals?
And anything else you can think of.