Our aims in Mathematics are for every child in Chatsworth to:
- Have a positive attitude towards mathematics
- Have an awareness of the relevance of mathematics in the real world
- Be competent and confident in their mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
- Have the opportunity to solve problems, to reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately.
- Be able to work both independently and in cooperation with others
- Have opportunities to communicate mathematics in a variety of mediums
- Use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life
The teaching of Mathematics at Chatsworth:
Mathematics is taught using the ‘carousel’ method – where the class is divided into 3 separate ability groups - with each ability group receiving targeted teaching based on their specific needs. These groups are fluid and will change depending on children's understanding of that particular mathematical skill or concept.
Children from Year 2 to Year 6 have a weekly problem solving session where they learn to use and apply different mathematical skills to different problem solving concepts.
Children from Year 1 to Year 6 have a daily 'Big Maths' session where the children are taught specific calculation skills to ensure that all children receive a good grounding in basic computational skills.
Children are given their own personal target cards which they can use to self-assess. The targets relate to the age-related expectations for that year group. Once they meet a target they get a star stamp for their target cards to show this. Each child works towards getting as many stamps for their target sheet over the course of the year.
Homework is set for Years 2-6 weekly via Mathletics. Homework is set on a Friday and needs to be completed by the following Friday. The tasks set should reflect the learning that has been covered in class during the week.
Once the tasks set have been completed the children may then complete any extra tasks that are open to them on their account. It is great to see so many children engage with the interactive resource and complete many Mathletics tasks each week.